Retail Underwriter - Corporate Headquarters, Levittown, NY
Celebrating 40 years of servicing homeowners and home buyers, United Northern Mortgage Bankers Limited, (UNMB) is a mortgage banker licensed in 20 states. The key to UNMB’s success is our employees’ passion and commitment to deliver the best service and loan products to each customer. It is the reason we are considered one of the top places to work for by Newsday, and Best Places to work by National Mortgage News.
We are not just like any other company. UNMB is Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, VA & SONYMA approved and we maintain an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
It is our mission to make all our clients raving fans! This begins with our employees!
Great company culture doesn’t happen on its own. Our culture is developed from a conscious effort to build upon values that include respect, diversity, ethics, balance and teamwork. We have an awesome team who effectively communicate and believe in celebrating our successes loudly, with monthly meetings acknowledging outstanding achievements - big or small! We feel it is important that our employees work within a rewarding, team-oriented environment
We are here to help ensure your success with lots of training - some mandatory and some at your own pace. The tools to succeed are handed to you once you begin your career with us. Now is the time to be apart of something better… what are you waiting for?
The Retail Mortgage Underwriter will underwrite residential mortgage loans in accordance with Secondary Market, Investor and Government (FHA/VA) and GSE underwriting guidelines. This is a full- time position with benefits including Medical & Vision Insurance. Options to participate in 401k on first day of hire.
Applicants interested in working remotely will not be considered. This is a full-time position at our corporate office in Levittown, NY.
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Underwrite FHA/VA and Conventional loan applications ensuring adherence to Company and investor credit quality standards.
- Analyze mortgage loan files, which includes customer’s application, income documentation, appraisal and title reports, to ensure compliance with the company's policies, as well as, state and federal regulations.
- Analyze loan attributes and documentation for soundness and accuracy.
- Analyze loan applications to identify any risk issues and/or potential misrepresentation.
- Evaluate overall income, credit and equity of each loan application.
- Provide support to Loan Officers and Relationship Managers regarding questions and/or clarification of inquiries, loan files, and underwriting guidelines.
- Ensure timely review and follow-up steps in order to meet and exceed customer’s expectations.
- Keep up to date on investor and regulatory policies, procedures and changes that affect mortgage underwriting.
- Effectively Communicate with, team members and management on outstanding requirements and conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3 + years underwriting residential mortgage experience.
- Must have conforming conventional experience.
- FHA DE Status preferred, but not required.
- VA LAPP preferred, but not required.
- Working knowledge of Encompass.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with a strong commitment to customer service.
- Adherence to established policies and procedures pertinent to the position which include but are not limited to BSA, Privacy, CRA and Safeguarding Customer Information.
- Effective oral and written communication with customers, co-workers and all levels of management. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and all levels of management.
- Skills to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information.
- Capable of working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Computer literate experienced with Microsoft Office Suite.
Room for professional growth within the company for the right candidate.
UNITED NORTHERN MORTGAGE BANKERS LIMITED (NMLS# 7230) is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, age, color, gender, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, marital status or veteran status. Requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill set and/or ability required to successfully execute job/position listed.
Reasonable accommodations may be/will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Please inform us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position or perform your job. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: mw9.6.18