Retail Underwriter - Corporate Headquarters, Levittown, NY
Professionals who desire to join an innovative, progressive and thriving company with an environment conducive to personal growth, high performance and financial success consider United Northern Mortgage Bankers Limited (UNMB) an employer of choice.
UNMB is a highly regarded and expanding mortgage bank, whose success is built on ethical leadership, personal service and embracing technology. Trusted since 1979, UNMB maintains an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and we are rated as a Top Mortgage Employer.
Great company culture doesn’t happen on its own. Ours is developed from a conscious effort to build upon values that include respect, diversity, ethics, balance and teamwork. Understanding what is takes to be a successful team, we are proud to provide comprehensive training programs to support your education and experience.
We are here to help ensure your success with innovative efforts including a Certified Business Coach and a Corporate Relationship coordinator. Our technology investment is evident with our suite of solutions that provide support every step of the way. We welcome you to reach out and explore your opportunities.
The Retail Mortgage Underwriter will underwrite residential mortgage loans in accordance with Secondary Market, Investor and Government (FHA/VA) and GSE underwriting guidelines. This is a full time position with benefits including medical, vision and dental insurance. Options to participate in 401k on first day of hire.
- Underwrite residential loan files. Will be responsible for Conventional, FHA / VA loans.
- Ensure that all loans are unwritten and documented according to appropriate guidelines. Must be familiar with underwriting self-employed borrowers.
- Effectively communicate with Mortgage Lending Officers, Borrowers and Underwriters on loan status, issues and document requirements.
- Meet established performance and production standards and goals.
- Take an active role in identifying potential challenges within the underwriting process and / or department and provide recommendations for improvements.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable underwriting guidelines by completing all training programs and staying current with the industry and business policies and guidelines.
- Participate in ongoing training programs on an as needed basis.
- Ensure compliance and applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations.
- Complete all required compliance and ongoing professional training.
- Effectively provide professional internal and external written and verbal communication.
- You may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by manager. subject to reasonable accommodations.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3 + years underwriting residential mortgage experience.
- Must have conforming conventional experience and must be an experienced FHA D.E. Underwriter.
- Working knowledge of Encompass.
- VA LAPP preferred, but not required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player with a strong commitment to customer service.
- Adherence to established policies and procedures pertinent to the position which include but are not limited to BSA, Privacy, CRA and Safeguarding Customer Information.
- Effective oral and written communication with customers, co-workers and all levels of management. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and all levels of management.
- Skills to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information.
- Capable of working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Computer literate, experienced with Microsoft Office Suite.
Room for professional growth within the company for the right candidate.
UNITED NORTHERN MORTGAGE BANKERS LIMITED (NMLS# 7230) is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, age, color, gender, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, marital status or veteran status. Requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill set and/or ability required to successfully execute job/position listed.
Reasonable accommodations may be/will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Please inform us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position or perform your job. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: mw9.6.18